first railway line in toscana, the Livorno-Pisa-Firenze was built it run
almost completely on current site (althought both therminal have been relegated
to freight services, and passenger service moved since a long time to newer
The only exceptions are a new tunnel around La Rotta that have improved speed, and the station of Pisa.
This was originally build at the SE border of the city (L in the map) and was a terminal, train coming from Livorno to Firenze had to reverse. Briefly this looked inconvenient, also becouse the sation was very small, and a new one was build in current place (Centrale on the map, current stations are completely spelled, closed ones only a letter).
The old one was almost completely abandoned, except for its yard, that is presently part of the area where are stored passenger cars (far right on the picture) and its destination was first as a storage, then as the vegetable whosale market (in 1929), and is now completely separated from any track by a block of buildings.
Above is the entrance seen from piazza Guerrazzi, below a particular af the entrance with the city symbol. IT IS NOT the original one but the 1926 one, the original was sligtly west
In 1994 the market moved to a new location outside the town, and so the old station again becone unused. It is planned to reuse for social purpose. This summer (1998) have been held many concerts.
Above a view of entrance of the small building. (again the gates are the one added in 1929)
This restaurant, that is located on one of the wing of the entrance have a name that remeber the origin of the building.
Below the new station.