- 1. General Information
- Citizenship: Italian
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: http://people.dicea.unifi.it/paolo.mariano/
- 2. Education
- Ph.D in theoretical and applied mechanics, Università di Roma ‘La Sapienza’, 1997.
- Laurea (fifth year degree = master) in Structural Engineering, Università di Roma ‘La Sapienza’.
- High School in humanities.
- 3. Position held
- March 2017: (2) Full-Professorship habilitation in Mathematical Physics.
- March 2017: (1) Full-Professorship habilitation in Mechanics of Solids.
- 2005-present: Associate Professor of Mechanics of Solids in the University of Florence (Firenze, Italy).
- 2008-present: Coordinator (together with Prof. A. Mielke) of the Research Group in Theoretical Mechanics in the Centro di Ricerca Matematica E. De Giorgi of the Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa.
- 2011-2013: Adjunct Professor of Theoretical Mechanics in the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa.
- 2009-2010: In charge of the course “Mechanics of complex materials” in the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa.
- 2009-2010: Adjunct Professor of Theoretical Mechanics in the Gonzaga University, Campus Florence.
- Visiting Professorship: the University of Tartu, Department of Mathematics (May 2012), Polytechnic University of Madrid, Department of Materials Science (June 2012, July 2011, September, 2010; May-June, 2009; September 2008), University of Zürich, Department of Mathematics (October-December, 2009), Center of Excellence in Advanced Materials and Structures, Polish Academy of Sciences (February, April-May, 2004).
- 1997-2001: Adjunct Professor of Mechanics of Solids in the University of Rome La Sapienza.
- 1996, 2003, 2004: Research Associate in the University of Pisa, Department of Mathematics.
- 4. Publications
See the pertinent page.
- 5. Editorial activity
- Advisory Editor: Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences (Wiley), since 2010.
- Editorial boards:
Structural Engineering and Mechanics (Techno-Press), since 2013;
Structural Maintenance and Monitoring (Techno-Press), since 2013;
Prometeo (Italian Quarterly in History and Philosophy of Science; Mondadori), since 2012;
Materials Sciences and Applications (OA, Scientific Research), since 2010;
ISRN Engineering Mechanics (OA, Hidawi), since 2012;
Mathematical Problems in Engineering (OA, Hidawi), since 2014.
- Special issues edited:
(8) Trends and challenges in the mechanics of complex materials, Phil. Trans. Royal Society of London A, March 21th, 2016;
(7) Analytical and geometrical problems in continuum mechanics, Discrete Cont. Dyn. Systems B, AIMS, vol. 17, n° 2, 2012 (with M. Focardi);
(6) Perspectives in continuum mechanics, Math. Meth. Appl. Sci., Wiley, vol. 35, n° 15, 2012;
(5) Numerical simulation of discontinuities in mechanics, Algorithms, MDPI, 2009 (with S. Mariani and P. Venini – papers distributed on the issues of the whole year);
(4) Evolution equations in pure and applied sciences, Physica D, Elsevier, vol. 239, n° 15, 2010 (with G. Frosali and G. Modica);
(3) Modeling granularity, Computers & Mathematics with Applications, Elsevier, vol. 55, n° 2, 2008 (with G. Capriz and P. Giovine);
(2) Mechanics from nano to macroscopic level, Meccanica, Springer, vol. 40, n° 4-6, 2005 (with G. Capriz);
(1) Multifield theories, Int. J. Solids Structures, Elsevier, vol 38, n° 6-7, 2001 (with G. Capriz).
- Books edited:
(4) Mathematical models of granular matter, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Springer, 2008 (with G. Capriz and P. Giovine);
(3) Material substructures in complex bodies: from atomic level to continuum, Elsevier, 2007 (with G. Capriz);
(2) Advances in multifield theories of continua with substructure, Birkhäuser, 2004 (with G. Capriz);
(1) Proceeding of the XV AIMETA Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Taormina, September 26-29 (2001) (with G. Augusti, V. Sepe , M. Lacagnina).
- Reviewer for
(1) Math. Rev., (2) Proc. Royal Soc. London A, (3) Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., (4) J. Physics A: Math. Theor., (5) J. Math. Phys., (6) Rendiconti Lincei: Matematica e Applicazioni, (7) J. Geom. Phys., (8) Il Nuovo Cimento B, (9) Phys. Lett. A, (10) Physica B, (11) Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., (12) Physica Status Solidi B, (13) Int. J. Solids Struct., (14) J. Elasticity, (15) Appl. Math. Mod., (16) Math. Meth. Appl. Sci., (17) Int. J. Fracture, (18) Boll. UMI B, (19) ASCE J. Eng. Mech., (20) Comp. Struct., (21) Comp. Math., (22) Meccanica, (23) Int. J. Math. Math. Sci., (24) Eng. Struct., (25) Mech. Struct. Mach. (ceased), (26) ZAMM, (27) SIAM J. Math. Analysis, (28) Multiscale Mod. Simul., (29) Mech. Res. Comm., (30) Comm. Nonlinear Sci. Num. Simul., (31) Discr. Cont. Dyn. Systems – B, (32) Mech. Mat., (33) J. Mech. Mat. Struct., (34) Rep. Math. Phys., (35) Arch. Rational Mech. Anal., (36) J. Math. Anal. Appl.
- 6. Intensive Schools organized at CRM – Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa
- Multi-scale and Multi-field Representations of Condensed Matter Behavior, organized with C. Le Bris, November 25th-29th, 2013;
- Mathematical Principles for and Advances in Continuum Mechanics, organized with A. Mielke, November 7th-12nd, 2011;
- Structures of the Mechanics of Complex Bodies, organized with A. Mielke, October 1st-7th, 2007.
- 7. Organization of Congresses and Symposia
- Organizer and Chairman of the GAMM Seminar on Microstructures, Firenze, January 2018.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the 2014 International Conference Advances in Structural Monitoring and Maintenance, August, 24-28, 2014, BEXCO in Budan, Korea.
- Member of the Program Committee of the 2014 Spring World Congress on Engineering and Technology (SCET 2014) April 16th-18th, 2014, Shangai, China, organized by Engineering Information Institute.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the 2013 IUTAM Symposium on Multiscale and Uncertainty Quantification of Materials and Structures, Santorini, September 9th-11th, 2013.
- Organizer and Chairman with M. Focardi of the Symposium “Geometrical and Analytical Problems in Continuum Mechanics” within SIMAI 2010, Cagliari, June 21st-25th, 2010.
- Organizer and Chairman of the Symposium “Modelli e problemi nella meccanica dei materiali”, Firenze, March 6th, 2009.
- Organizer and Chairman with G. Frosali and G. Modica of the Symposium “Evolution Equations in Pure and Applied Sciences”, Firenze, April 2008.
- Organizer and Chairman of the Symposium “Mathematical Lectures”, CRM, Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa, Lizzanello, September 2007.
- Organizer and Chairman with T. J. Pence and E. Vanden-Ejinden of the Symposium “Geometric and Stochastic Aspects of the Mechanics of Complex Bodies”, within ICIAM-2007, Zürich, July 2007.
- Organizer and Chairman of the Symposium “Models of Multi-Scale Phenomena in Simple and Complex Bodies”, within SIMAI-2006, Baia Samuele, May 2006.
- Organizer and Chairman with G. Capriz of the “Minisymposium Nanotechnologies: Building up Structures at the Nano and Meso-Scales”, within AIMETA 2005, Firenze, September 2005.
- Organizer and Chairman with G. Capriz of the “Minisymposium on Multifield Theories”, within AIMETA-2001, Taormina, September 2001.
- 8. Honors
- Plenary talk at STAMM-2010, Berlin, Germany, August 30th – September 2nd, 2010.
- Plenary talk at CPEA-2010, Rackeve, 2010.
- Key-note lecturer at 9th GAMM Seminar on Microstructures, Stuttgart, Germany, January 22nd-23th, 2010.
- Chairman of a sub-session of the sector Mathematical Physics at the International Congress of Mathematicians ICM 2006, Madrid, June 2006.
- Key-note lecturer of a session at the Symposium on Probabilistic Mechanics within the Third MIT Conference on Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics, Boston, June 2005.
- Seminars delivered in several universities. Among them MIT, Yale, Northwestern, Brown, École Polytechnique, Versailles et Saint Quentin en Yvelines, Poitiers, IPPT Warsaw, WIAS Berlin etc.
- Cover of the Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, vol. 3, 2006, issue 4.
- 9. Theses and Committees
- Advisor and co-advisor of 5 PhD theses (F. L. Stazi has been recipient of 2003 ECCOMAS prize for the best PhD thesis in computational mechanics; P. Paoletti is actually lecturer in the University of Liverpool after a post-doc at Harvard; M. Bacci is post-doc in the University of Zürich), 5 master theses (one in collaboration with GeorgiaTech; F. Maresca is now post-doc in the EPF-Lausanne while G. Franchetti is post-doc in the Heriot Watt University), 5 bachelor theses.
- 2009-2010: Member of two committees for tenure track/tenure transition of associate professors in Italy.
- 2005-present: Reviewer for the “Université Franco-Italienne” of the joint research projects France-Italy.
- 2012-present: Reviewer for ANVUR – Italian Agency for Research Evaluation.