1. General Information
- Prof. Paolo Maria MARIANO, Università di Firenze, Italy, Italian citizen.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://people.dicea.unifi.it/paolo.mariano/
- Ph.D in theoretical and applied mechanics, Università di Roma ‘La Sapienza’, 1997.
- Laurea (fifth year degree = master) in Structural Engineering, Università di Roma ‘La Sapienza’.
- High School in humanities.
- 2017: Habilitation for Full Professorship in Mathematical Physics (SSD Mat/07) in the Italian University system.
- 2017: Habilitation for Full Professorship in Mechanics of Solids (SSD ICAR/08) in the Italian University system.
- 2005-today: Associate Professor of Mechanics of Solids and Theoretical Mechanics in the University of Florence (Firenze, Italy).
- 2008-today: Coordinator (together with A. Mielke, WIAS Berlin) of the Research Group in Theoretical Mechanics in the Centro di Ricerca Matematica E. De Giorgi of the Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa.
- 2011-2013: Adjunct Professor of Theoretical Mechanics in the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa.
- 2009-2010: In charge of the course “Mechanics of complex materials” in the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa.
- 2009-2010: Adjunct Professor of Theoretical Mechanics in the Gonzaga University, Campus Florence.
- Visiting Professor in the University of Tartu, Department of Mathematics (May 2012), Polytechnic University of Madrid, Department of Materials Science (June 2012, July 2011, September, 2010; May-June, 2009; September 2008), University of Zürich, Department of Mathematics (October-December, 2009), Center of Excellence in Advanced Materials and Structures, Polish Academy of Sciences (February, April-May, 2004).
- 1997-2001: Adjunct Professor of Mechanics of Solids in the University of Rome La Sapienza.
- 1996, 2003, 2004: Research Associate in the University of Pisa, Department of Mathematics.
- Corresponding Member of the Accademia Peloritana dei Pericolanti (elected on January 21st, 2019).
5. Publications (summary)
Research works: 80 papers in international journals (36 as a single author), 3 monographs (Birkhauser, 2015, and – under completion – 2019; American Mathematical Society, under completion 2019), 12 books and special issues edited (+ 4 under editorial developments), 12 volume chapters in collective books, 32 articles in proceedings of conferences, 30 extended abstracts.
In addition: 19 journal papers in history and philosophy of science, 2 volume chapters on history and philosophy of science, 2 monographs on philosophy of science, 2 didactic books, 10 book reviews (plus 109 reviews on Mathematical Reviews, including other book reviews).
6. Theses and Committees
- Advisor and co-advisor of 5 PhD theses (F. L. Stazi has been recipient of 2003 ECCOMAS prize for the best PhD thesis in computational mechanics; P. Paoletti is actually lecturer in the University of Liverpool after a post-doc at Harvard; M. Bacci is post-doc in the University of Zürich), 7 master theses (three in collaboration with GeorgiaTech, École Nationale de Ponts et Chaussées, INRIA Lyon; F. Maresca has just won a competition for a permanent research position in Gröningen, after a post-doc period in the EPF and another one has been post doc in Heriot-Watt University), 13 bachelor theses.
- 2009-2010: Member of two committees for tenure track/tenure transition of associate professors in Italy.
- 2005-today: Reviewer for the “Université Franco-Italienne” of the joint research projects France-Italy.
- 2012 - Reviewer for ANVUR.
- 2017 - Reviewer of research project of the Estonian Research Council
- 2016 - Reviewer for JSC “National Centre of Science and Technology Evaluation”, Kazakhstan.
- 2015 - Member of the committee for the evaluation for associate professorship of Dr. Abdul Majid, Faculty of Science, University of Gujrat, Pakistan.
- 2016: Reviewer of Skoltech (Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology), Oblast’ of Moscow.
7. Editorial activity
- Book series
- Editor-in-chief (together with C. Dafermos e R. D. James): Trends in Continuum Mechanics, Birkhäuser (Springer catalog), since 2018.
- Journal editorial boards:
- Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A (since January 2018),
- Advisory Editor: Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences (Wiley, since 2010),
- Associate Editor: Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications (Springer, since December 2017),
- Structural Engineering and Mechanics (Techno-Press, since 2013),
- Structural Maintenance and Monitoring (Techno-Press, since 2013),
- Prometeo (Italian Quarterly in History and Philosophy of Science; Mondadori, since 2012),
- Journal of Multiscale Modeling (World Scientific, since 2016),
- Coupled Systems Mechanics (Techno Press, since 2015).
- Materials Sciences and Applications (OA, Scientific Research, 2010-2013),
- ISRN Engineering Mechanics (OA, Hindawi, 2012-2017),
- Mathematical Problems in Engineering (OA, Hindawi, 2012-2016).
Further editorial engagements:
- Springer Consulting Editor for book series (since 2017 to 2019),
- Member of the Scientific Committee of Florence University Press (since 2017 to 2019).
- Reviewer for (1) Math. Rev., (2) Proc. Royal Soc. London A, (3) Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., (4) J. Physics A: Math. Theor., (5) J. Math. Phys., (6) Rendiconti Lincei: Matematica e Applicazioni, (7) J. Geom. Phys., (8) Il Nuovo Cimento B, (9) Phys. Lett. A, (10) Physica B, (11) Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., (12) Physica Status Solidi B, (13) Int. J. Solids Struct., (14) J. Elasticity, (15) Appl. Math. Mod., (16) Math. Meth. Appl. Sci., (17) Int. J. Fracture, (18) Boll. UMI B, (19) ASCE J. Eng. Mech., (20) Comp. Struct., (21) Comp. Math., (22) Meccanica, (23) Int. J. Math. Math. Sci., (24) Eng. Struct., (25) Mech. Struct. Mach. (currently closed), (26) ZAMM, (27) SIAM J. Math. Analysis, (28) Multiscale Mod. Simul., (29) Mech. Res. Comm., (30) Comm. Nonlinear Sci. Num. Simul., (31) Discr. Cont. Dyn. Systems – B, (32) Mech. Mat., (33) J. Mech. Mat. Struct., (34) Rep. Math. Phys. (35) Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. (36) J. Math. Anal. Appl., (37) Math. Mech. Solids, (38) ZAMP, (39) J. Mat. Sci.: Materials in Electronics, (38) Theor. Appl. Frac. Mech., (39) Appl. Phys. Lett.
- Guest editor of journal special issues: (1) Int. J. Solids Structures, Elsevier, vol 38, n° 6-7, 2001 (with G. Capriz); (2) Meccanica, Springer, vol. 40, n° 4-6, 2005 (with G. Capriz); (3) Computers & Mathematics, Elsevier, vol. 55, n° 2, 2008 (with G. Capriz and P. Giovine); (4) Physica D, vol. 239, n° 15, 2010 (with G. Frosali and G. Modica); (5) Algorithms, MDPI, 2009 (with S. Mariani and P. Venini); (6) Math. Meth. Appl. Sci., Wiley, vol. 35, n° 15, 2012; (7) Discrete Cont. Dyn. Systems B, vol. 17, n° 2, 2012 (with M. Focardi); (8) Phil. Trans. Royal Society of London, issue 2066, 2016; (9) Meccanica, Springer, 2018 (with P. Giovine, G. Mortara, K. Soga), under completion; (10) Int. J. Solids Structures, Elsevier, 2019 (with C. Di Prisco, P. Giovine, S. Kyriakides, G. Mortara) under completion; (11) J. Opt. Theory Appl., Springer, 2020, under completion.
- Guest editor of books: Birkhäuser, 2004 (with G. Capriz); Elsevier, 2007 (with G. Capriz); Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Springer, 2008 (with G. Capriz and P. Giovine); Birkhäuser, 2018 (two volumes edited with P. Giovine and G. Mortara), under completion.
8. Intensive schools organized at CRM – Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa
- Multi-scale and Multi-field Representations of Condensed Matter Behavior, organized with C. Le Bris, November 25th-29th, 2013;
- Mathematical Principles for and Advances in Continuum Mechanics, organized with A. Mielke, November 7th-12nd, 2011;
- Structures of the Mechanics of Complex Bodies, organized with A. Mielke, October 1st-7th, 2007.
9. Organization of congresses and symposia
- Member of the Scientific Board of the Conference on Micro-to-Macro Modeling in Soil Mechanics, Reggio Calabria, May 28th-June 1st , 2018.
- Organizer of the 17th GAMM Seminar on Microstructures, together with G. Dolzmann and K. Weinberg, January 25-26, 2018, Firenze.
- “Conference Chairman” together with F. Aliabadi, S. Baragetti, C. Pappalettere, K. Casavola, della 15th International Conference on Fracture and Damage Mechanics, July 18-20, 2017, Firenze.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the 2014 International Conference Advances in Structural Monitoring and Maintenance, August, 24-28, 2014, BEXCO in Budan, Korea.
- Member of the Program Committee of the 2014 Spring World Congress on Engineering and Technology (SCET 2014) April 16th-18th, 2014, Shangai, China, organized by Engineering Information Institute.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the 2013 IUTAM Symposium on Multiscale and Uncertainty Quantification of Materials and Structures, Santorini, September 9th-11th, 2013.
- Organizer with M. Focardi of the Symposium “Geometrical and Analytical Problems in Continuum Mechanics” within SIMAI 2010, Cagliari, June 21st-25th, 2010.
- Organizer of the Symposium “Modelli e problemi nella meccanica dei materiali”, Firenze, March 6th, 2009.
- Organizer with G. Frosali and G. Modica of the Symposium “Evolution Equations in Pure and Applied Sciences”, Firenze, April 2008.
- Organizer of the Symposium “Mathematical Lectures”, CRM, Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa, Lizzanello, September 2007.
- Organizer with T. J. Pence and E. Vanden-Ejinden of the Symposium “Geometric and Stochastic Aspects of the Mechanics of Complex Bodies”, within ICIAM-2007, Zürich, July 2007.
- Organizer of the Symposium “Models of Multi-Scale Phenomena in Simple and Complex Bodies”, within SIMAI-2006, Baia Samuele, May 2006.
- Organizer with G. Capriz of the “Minisymposium Nanotechnologies: Building up Structures at the Nano and Meso-Scales”, within AIMETA 2005, Firenze, September 2005.
- Organizer with G. Capriz of the “Minisymposium on Multifield Theories”, within AIMETA-2001, Taormina, September 2001.
10. Other information
- Plenary talk at STAMM-2010, Berlin, Germany, August 30th – September 2nd, 2010.
- Plenary talk at CPEA-2010, Rackeve, 2010.
- Key-note lecturer at 9th GAMM Seminar on Microstructures, Stuttgart, Germany, January 22nd-23th, 2010.
- Chairman of a sub-session of the sector Mathematical Physics at the International Congress of Mathematicians ICM 2006, Madrid, June 2006.
- Key-note lecturer of a session at the Symposium on Probabilistic Mechanics within the Third MIT Conference on Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics, Boston, June 2005.
- Seminars delivered in several universities. Among them MIT, Yale, Northwestern, Brown, École Polytechnique, Versailles et Saint Quentin en Yvelines, Poitiers, IPPT Warsaw, WIAS Berlin etc.
- Cover of the Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, vol. 3, 2006, issue 4.
- Rather regular contributions on the Culture Sections of newspapers like “Il Galatino”, “Il Riformista” (currently closed), “Il Paese Nuovo” (currently closed), “Il Quotidiano di Puglia”, “Il Sole 24ore”.